Safari to sea on an overland African adventure
Overland with Lonely Planet and Intrepid on a 12-day eastern Africa experience, all the way to Zanzibar. Whether you’re spotting lions deep in the Serengeti, hiking a lush mountain trail in the Usambara Mountains, cruising on a traditional dhow in the Indian Ocean’s azure waters or interacting with local communities near Mto wa Mbu, you’re set to learn a thing or two about the wonders of these lands and its people. Travel with an expert local leader and a group of likeminded adventurers keen to scour every inch of the Ngorongoro Crater for the Big Five and share travel stories over a seafood meal in Zanzibar.
Explore the Serengeti, a wildlife arena like no other, and look for lions, leopards, elephants and giraffes in this iconic park.
Take a mind-blowing safari across the floor of the Ngorongoro Crater in an open-roof 4WD vehicle for a chance to see endangered black rhinoceros.
Embark on a hike through the Usambara Mountains to the Irente viewpoint, then stop at a farm on the way back for a picnic lunch.
Wander around Stone Town’s bustling bazaars and fragrant spice markets and consider heading on an optional guided tour of the island’s spice plantations.
Accompanied by a local crew — a leader, driver and cook – you'll be in excellent hands for the duration of your adventure.
This is an overland trip. That means you’ll be travelling with a group in a purpose-built vehicle, visiting remote communities, setting up your own tent, occasionally roughing it in the bush with no facilities, and getting the best possible views of the Big Five. While the trucks don’t have air conditioning, they do have sliding windows which let in the breeze and make it even easier to take spectacular snaps of the local wildlife. The drive days can be long, but it’s as much about the journey as the destination, and half the fun is the camaraderie. For more info on this style of travel, see our Africa overland page: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/africa/overland
Camp in the Serengeti National Park itself without fences between you and the animals. Your leader will brief you on the safety measures the group will need to take for the two nights spent in the park.
At Usambara Mountains, the group will do an easy hike to the beautiful Irente viewpoint.
The overland vehicle is large enough to seat up to 22 passengers and carries all the camping equipment needed for the duration of this trip.
Some passengers on this trip will have been travelling together prior to the start of your trip. To see what you're missing out on check out our Gorillas, Game Parks & Beaches trip.Or if you'd like to kick on to Victoria Falls, check out out Kenya to Victoria Falls trip.
As the early bird catches the worm, the early camper sights the animals. There will be many early starts either to make use of the better safari time or to beat the morning traffic on long travel days.
1. A single supplement is available for all nights on this trip, subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
2. An optional sunrise balloon ride in the Serengeti National Park is possible on this itinerary. Please see the itinerary above for full details of this activity. As the balloon only holds 16 people, places are limited and we recommend you book in advance. Please inquire when booking your trip to book this optional activity.
3. This is a combination trip made up of two shorter trips. This means the composition of your group may change in Stone Town as some new group members join you.
4. The Zanzibar portion of your itinerary may have a few more passengers than the maximum group size of 22 as we have a crossover of trips starting and finishing in Zanzibar.
5. This trip finishes upon arrival at our finish point hotel in Stone Town on Day 12. Please do not book any flights until after 12 pm this afternoon.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information